Pen and brown ink, over black chalk
143 × 215 mm
Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest 1877
The compositional study was probably made for the altarpiece, today lost, for the San Domenico Church in Mantua. For the composition, Giulio Romano relied on Raphael’s drawings for his painting of the same subject, completed in 1507, for the Baglioni Chapel in the church of San Francesco al Prato in Perugia. In the fragmentary Budapest sheet, Giulio was searching the poses of the dynamically interacting figures.
drawing, Giulio Romano, pen-and-ink