Perino del Vaga
Study for a Wall Decoration
Pen and wash in brown and grey ink, over black chalk
420 × 290 mm
Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest 1838
When Perino returned to Rome, one of his first commissions was the decoration of the Massimi Chapel in SS. Trinità dei Monti. The fresco cycle representing Christ’s miracles, already destroyed, was executed in 1538–1539. The meticulously drawn Budapest sheet, made in preparation of the south wall of the chapel, was most probably intended for the patron, Angelo Massimi. The central panel depicting the healing Christ is surrounded by four smaller all’antica scenes and grotesque stucco decorations.
drawing, pen-and-ink, Perino del Vaga